External Professional Activities for Pay (EPAP)
External Professional Activities for Pay (EPAP) include any activity that:
- is not included within one’s University employment responsibilities;
- is performed for any entity, public or private, other than the University employer;
- is undertaken for compensation; and
- is based upon the professional knowledge, experience and abilities of the EHRA employee.
Additionally, External Professional Activities for Pay (EPAP) are to be undertaken only if they do not:
- Create a conflict of commitment by interfering with the obligation of the individual to carry out all primary University duties in a timely and effective manner, including disclosing any information about the EPAP activity as required; or
- Create an unmanageable conflict of interest vis-a-vis the individual’s status as an employee of the University with the ability to perform their University duties; or
- Involve any inappropriate use or exploitation of University resources; or
- Make any use of the name of the University of North Carolina or any of its constituent institutions for any purpose other than professional identification such that it implies endorsement of an entity, technology or product; or
- Claim, explicitly or implicitly, any University or institutional responsibility for the conduct or outcome of such activities.
Unit supervisors are generally the final EPAP reviewers for approval or denial. In certain schools with Vendor Relations policies, those school require an additional review at the dean’s office level before a determination is made. Also, if your activity is with an entity where you or the University has equity, additional review is review. Please see the Conflict of Commitment policy for more information or review the routing flow chart below.
NOTE: Information on your EPAP hours now may be viewed via your AIR profile, available through the Activities, Interests, and Relationships (AIR) management system website.
EPAP Review Process
Other Related Policies
- Board of Governors’ Regulations on External Professional Activities for Pay by Faculty and Non-Faculty EHRA Employees
- Board of Governors’ Policy on Conflict of Interest and Commitment
- UNC-Chapel Hill Policy on Individual Conflicts of Interest and Commitment