Skip to main content

If you plan to travel to any destination with research data or technology other than a standard UNC laptop, contact the Export Compliance Office in advance of your travel.

If you are traveling with items to one of the “comprehensively sanctioned” countries of Cuba, Iran, Syria, and North Korea, providing access to your items to a citizen of one of those countries, or traveling to a restricted entity, an export license will most likely be required. Contact us for help in determining your export license requirements.

Helpful Note: UNC travelers who are traveling on University business are required to submit their travel itinerary to the UNC Travel Registry prior to departure. Questions? Contact Andrew Hunt, Global Travel Risk Programs Specialist at or 919-962-6022.

Travelers should also check the UNC Global Travel and Operations website for updates and warnings related to their destination, information on travel insurance, and other helpful resources.