International collaborations are very important to the global mission of UNC-Chapel Hill. The Export Compliance Office provides support through trainings, guidance, and specific reviews of collaboration scope as well as help vet institutions against sanctions lists.
- Will the research take place in a sanctioned, embargoed, or other high risk country?
- Who are the parties involved? Are they restricted parties?
- Does the collaboration in any way relate to weapons, warfare, munitions, nuclear materials, and/or national intelligence?
- Is any related party a foreign government, military, or intelligence agency?
- Is any related party a domestic military or intelligence agency?
- Has any related party requested an MTA, NDA, and/or CDA in relation to the proposed collaboration?
- Will items be shipped, taken, or otherwise transferred outside the United States?
- Does the collaboration involve international travel?
- Will the results of the collaboration be subject to any restrictions on dissemination?
- Will UNC receive any physical items, materials, biologics, software, and/or proprietary information from a collaborating party?
If you answer “yes” or are unsure about any of the above questions, please contact the Export Compliance Office for assistance.