Skip to main content

International Teleworking

In accordance with the Human Resource requirements for Flexible Work Arrangements for University Employees, a teleworking request eform should be initiated through Connect Carolina Self-Service only if a UNC-Chapel Hill employee will be working outside of the United States. This request needs to be submitted and approved prior to the employee engaging in any work, regardless of the duration of the arrangement. UNC-Chapel Hill employees wishing to telework abroad should first check the UNC-Chapel Hill Human Resources webpage on Flexible Work Arrangements for University Employees.

International Travel

In the course of your travel abroad, if you plan on transferring (including hand-carrying) any technology other than a standard University laptop, or accessing any research information that is not currently published or planned on being used in a planned research publication, contact the Export Compliance Office in advance of your travel.

Travelers should also make sure to review the UNC Global webpage for Legal and Compliance Considerations for Global Travel and the UNC-Chapel Hill Export Compliance Guide for International Travel for the various compliance-related considerations when traveling internationally.

UNC-Chapel Hill travelers who are traveling on University business are required to submit their travel itinerary to the UNC Travel Registry prior to departure. Questions? Contact Jill Wilhelm, Office of the Vice Provost for Global Affairs, at

Travelers should also check UNC Global Travel and Operations and the website for updates and warnings related to their destination, information on travel insurance and other helpful resources.

Please Note: If you are traveling to any one of the following countries, contact the Export Compliance Office for help in determining your export license requirements:

  • Afghanistan
  • Belarus*
  • Burma
  • Cambodia
  • Central African Republic
  • China (PRC)
  • Cuba*
  • Cyprus
  • Democratic Republic of Congo
  • Eritrea
  • Haiti
  • Iran*
  • Iraq
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • North Korea*
  • Russia*
  • Somalia
  • Sudan
  • Sri Lanka
  • Syria*
  • Ukraine*
  • Venezuela
  • Zimbabwe

*For comprehensively sanctioned countries, export control licenses are commonly required by the U.S. Federal Government. For this reason, any travel to comprehensively sanctioned countries must receive prior review from the Export Compliance Office.